Sunday, January 30, 2011

Phoebe's Knee Braces

In the continuing saga of the miraculous Miss Phoebe, I made the investment in two custom made knee braces from Mutt Knee Brace in Colorado. This involved me trying to get Phoebe's very detailed measurements with a tape measure--this at the time when she could not stand very well--an activity that took 2 days.

In any event, then I waited, after a very encouraging phone call from the owner of the company, who assured me that surgery should be put off for as long as possible. In fact, she told me, "Many of our dogs do so well with the braces, they never need surgery."

So in between laser treatments and major snowstorms, I held out hope for these knee braces. I was even told by a vet friend of mine that they are fabulous.

They arrived yesterday and after a bit of wrestling with the mechanics--actually not too much since they are held on by a very typical harness like the kind used for walking a dog, we gave it a whirl. And that's what I have--a whirling dog!! She RAN, yes ran, in the snow, dug her nose in, blew some up in the air and the tail never stopped wagging!!

SUCCESS--at least for now. At least enough for me not to worry about her in the now--since yet another storm is forecast. Keep your fingers crossed. WE are happy.

The first photo below is her from the rear--the only part of her I was seeing since she ran off!!


This is her from the side. Note wagging tail, nose in snow and the beautiful path that I have shoveled for her!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a few months since you got the knee brace and I was wondering what you think of it now.

Kim said...

I was wondering how the brace ended up working for your dog? I am contemplating getting a brace from them for my boy, but was hoping to hear some success stories first. Thanks!