Monday, May 23, 2011

Preakness Thoughts

A surely as the Preakness follows the Derby, racing pundits revisit the question of timing in the Triple Crown events. Is the Preakness too close to the Derby? Should they add an extra week? Are we over breeding horses for speed versus stamina? And the inevitable, will we ever see a Triple Crown winner again?

Personally, I think we came awfully close on Saturday. Take nothing away from Animal Kingdom; he ran an amazing race. More importantly he was given an amazing ride by Johnny Velasquez, who in my opinion, is the best in the business today. Shackleford liked the shorter distance and I do believe Animal Kingdom would have caught him in another jump.

But take nothing away from the winner. Despite getting all worked up, Shackleford ran away with the victory, wire to wire, setting blazing fractions for the first quarter.

I will admit I had the exacta but only because I truly felt those two horses were the best in the field and I still maintain that Animal Kingdom is the best of this year's bunch. That is one very nice horse and I hope he stays healthy to claim the Travers as well.

As for the Belmont, well don't look for Shackleford. He should be spent after Saturday. I hear rumors that Master of Hounds may make a return trip stateside and I would not discount him either at the longer distance, coming off the turf in Europe. I think it is 50-50 whether or not Animal Kingdom runs in the Belmont, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sits that one out. I do know he is back at Fair Hill, being a horse.

As for the timing of races, the Triple Crown is elusive because it takes a once in a lifetime horse. Barbaro was probably the closest we have come in a long time--just because everything was so easy for him. Those horses are few and far between, and as history has proven, worth the wait.

If they change the rules, it won't mean the same thing. So I think we are just going to have to continue to wait.

In the meantime, I am on a mean handicapping streak so stay tuned for my Belmont predictions!

No comments: