Sunday, July 6, 2008

Say it In Six

Now for something completely different and a chance to stretch those brain cells in a new direction. There's a book floating around called Not Quite What I Was Planning. The premise is simple: six word autobiographies from the famous, not so famous and even infamous.

Feel up to the task? Try and compose your memoir, tombstone, epigraph or life story in six words.

Here are some examples:

"Well I thought it was funny." Steven Colbert

"Despite disorders, jafroed jewboy gets girl.' Michael Eisner

"Thought I would have more impact." Kevin Clark

"Weight up! Weight down! Income rises!" Oprah Winfrey

"Fake news spawns very real fame." Jon Stewart

"Big bucks, big ego, Big Apple." Michael Bloomberg

As for me, well it is harder than it looks. I played with it a while and came up with:

"Raised husband, kids, dogs and words."

Probably still needs some tweaking. It seems to be a little easier to compose for others than for yourself.

How about Barbaro? "Won Derby, broke leg, changed lives." See if you can do better. Send me your suggestions and I'll post the best.

Just think of all those brain cells you are keeping supple!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Smith magazine has a new and open 6 word project. This one asks us to write a story of love and heartbreak in 6 words or less. I agree, tis very difficult.

www.hostilehaiku.blogspot.com