Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fighting City Hall

I am in the middle of fighting City Hall which is the last thing I should be doing. But some things deserve a good fight.

At issue here is our Township's newly created "off-leash" area in one of our beautiful parks. All of which is great. The park is wonderful. The trails are clear and challenging. The dogs LOVE it and everyone gets some fresh air and exercise.

Here's the problem. To use this "off-leash area," which is only available between dawn and 9:30 AM, you must register your dogs with the Township and purchase both a license and a permit. This is still not a big deal except they are making it one.

Said registration includes veterinary records to show your dog has been vaccinated (still fine), a copy of your home owner's policy (to show you would be responsible if your dog were to attack someone, God forbid, a bit of overkill as far as I'm concerned but O. K.) and $25.00. But here's the catch. Only 2 permits per house!!!! Discrimination against owners of more than 2 dogs!!!

The rule states that one adult may only have 2 dogs off leash. I called up and asked what if I brought another person with me? No exceptions. 2 permits per house. 2 dogs per person, off leash.

For now, I am planning on keeping Amos on leash, which does not require a permit, and let the 2 goldens off, because truth be told, Amos never wanders very far from me to begin with, BUT that is beside the point. They do not believe I can control 3 dogs--which I have been doing quite nicely before this entire permit thing came to be.

Part of me feels like it is another aspect of our overly-monitored society in which kids are not allowed to do anything that might be remotely dangerous (and believe me everything is dangerous if you are a kid...) and part of me understands the need to be vigilant. And I don't want to ruin it for everyone who has fought to earn this privilege to begin with.

But Amos is not going to be a happy camper for very long and neither am I.

Stay tuned.

No comments: