Thursday, October 8, 2009

Coincidence? I Wonder...



So I know I am a few days off, but a thought just occurred to me about October 4. Two remarkable coincidences....or maybe not.

October 4, 1989 was the day that Secretariat (pictured above) was euthanized due to laminitis, the painful foot disease that also proved to be the demise of Barbaro. October 4, 2005 was also the day Barbaro broke his maiden at Delaware Park.

Yes, I know, sixteen years apart, but there is something remarkably consistent about that October day. I was ideally hoping that Lentenor would start racing on the same day, but apparently we are going to have to wait until the end of the month.

In the meantime, the laminitis battle is still being waged and a big conference is on tap November 4-6 in West Palm Beach about current research with vets reporting from all over the world. Penn will be well represented, and while lots of developments have been made, a cure is still out there.

Wouldn't that just be something if, not too far in the distant future, they announced a cure had been found on that same October day?

1 comment:

magic said...

I lost my precious boy last Christmas to laminitis.
It's the most horrible condition a horse can get.
I hope they find a cure, or some help at least, at this conference