Sunday, November 1, 2009

"Lentenor Won't Be a Maiden For Long"

I watched the live telecast of Lentenor's first race and was suitably impressed by his presence and his grit. He showed poise and determination despite a rough trip. I think he is going to be a very nice racehorse.

My brother-in-law actually had a horse in the same race, Albany Road, who finished eighth. I had been talking to my sister the day before and she commented: "Sometimes you don't want them to win their first race." I think this was most definitely the case with Lentenor. He got quite a good education in those seven furlongs. He learned what it was to ride the rail and go around horses.

He also learned a little about rating. It seemed as if he was raring to go down the backstretch and had the jockey let him go, he might have shot through an opening along the rail and then who knows. But this was most definitely a learning opportunity--something that Barbaro did not get until the Florida Derby when he was truly challenged and fought back.

Lenny is a good looking race horse with an impressive stride at the wire. In retrospect, I do not think the longer turf distance at Churchill would have suited him. He looked like he was tiring at the end.

Assuming he comes out of the race well, I think we will see him run again (maybe at Churchill Downs) before the end of the year. And I agree with the announcer who said, "I don't think Lentenor is going to be a maiden for long."

No comments: