Thursday, July 28, 2011

Demise of Borders Feels Like Opportunity to Me

Technically this is not animal related but it does pertain to my other life as a writer, and lately, a writer of books. With the demise of Borders now official, my neighborhood is going to have one bookstore--and one that is not exactly in my neighborhood. Which feels to me like an opportunity, but I digress.

For a few years, it seemed as if we were drowning in bookstores. There was even an article in one of the magazines I used to work for about Barnes & Noble and Borders competing within a few blocks of each other. Borders seemed as ubiquitous as Starbucks--and these are still proliferating on every corner. There were no independent bookstores to speak of (except an excellent children's one which remains staunchly in business) but there was no need for one. Books were everywhere.

Now they are not. At least not in person. They still populate the pages of newspapers and magazines and online but in person, forget about it. Which makes me sad and absolutely convinced that someone should jump in and restart an independent bookstore, with a salon and book readings and discussion groups and poetry slams. You get the idea.

Maybe it is an opportunity for libraries but there is nothing like browsing in a bookstore on a rainy afternoon for inspiration and comfort. Still nothing like doing research on what's already out there by browsing through the actual book, not a clipping form Publisher's Weekly. And still nothing like sampling before buying and not electronically.

So, maybe I am dreaming but I think the time may be ripe for the little guy to reclaim previous territory. Any takers? I've got a great location in mind.

No comments: