Monday, May 6, 2013

Derby Recap



I won't say I told you so but I will say that Orb is a very nice horse. Watch this replay and you will see that he flew from the half mile point on--coming four horses wide around the turn and only being nudged with the stick once by rider Joel Rosario. He hand rode the horse down the stretch and kept him under a steady hold for the first half mile. Rosario guessed correctly--that the pace was fast and that the horses in front for the first part of the race would tire themselves out.

That time will hold up especially considering it was a sloppy track.

The families that own this horse have been in racing for generations and never had won a Derby, so that part is fitting. They are throwback owners who truly do respect the horse. The Phipps family raced Easy Goer back in the late 80s and he too was a classic race horse although he did not have the distance in his pedigree that this guy does.

Do I think he can win a triple crown. Actually I do. But I also know that they won't race him unless they think they can win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.