Sunday, March 30, 2008

Why I am Rooting for Davidson

In the blog-o-sphere, they call this off topic, but forgive me while I digress...

It is December 2003, and I am standing in the corner of the Martin Luther High School gymnasium (where there are no bleachers because they have been removed since they were condemned), watching my middle son play against one of the city's top ranked basketball teams. I am not sure why our suburban, private school team ventured through metal detectors into the heart of this inner city school to play a game, but I think it had something to do with exposure, for the team, yes, because they were good, but predominantly for their star player, a senior transfer from France named Boris Meno.

It is a close and exciting game and unbelievably our team leads at the half. During the break, I strike up a conversation with the gentleman standing next to me who clearly knew that I was associated with the visiting team. A tall, silver haired gentleman, dressed in a sport coat and khaki pants, he looked almost as out of place as I did. He introduced himself as Bob McKillop, the coach of the Davidson College basketball team. It turns out that he was in town to scout Boris and so far he liked what he had seen. I had overheard him on the phone raving about Boris' skills and "coach-ability."

Now my middle son was a good basketball player but not Division I material but this nice gentleman made a point to ask me which one belonged to me. He even gave him a cursory glance when they resumed play, but he also asked me where said son was applying to college.

On that very day, my son was waiting to hear from Stanford about the early decision application he had submitted so I told him. McKillop smiled and wished him good luck. But he also told me that if he didn't get in, he was sure there would be other places that would be delighted to have such a well-rounded student.

Well it turns out that our team won that game, Boris went to Davidson (after a post-grad year at Northfield-Mt. Herman to improve his English skills), my son did not get into Stanford early decision but graduated from Univ. of Pa last year where he played four years of JV basketball, and Boris, after starting last year, has become the all-important sixth man this year while serving as captain for the past two years.

Watch for him. He's number 5 and usually makes significant rebounds, sets screens and hands the ball off. To say he's a fabulous young man is an understatement; he truly deserves all of this and more. I remember back when he played with my son, one of the coaches predicted he might even make it to the NBA.

I don't know if he's that good, but he's that deserving and he's clearly benefited from great coaching on and off the court.

So excuse me if I yell my lungs out for Boris and Davidson. McKillop deserves to be a nice guy who finishes in the top 4.

No comments: