Friday, August 15, 2008

No Foot, No Horse

Rumor has it that Big Brown's next race will be a made-to-order on the turf event at Belmont--a race designed for him to win before the Breeder's Cup Classic, a "gimmee." To me this reeks of only one thing: sore feet.

Turf is notoriously softer on the tootsies and if you remember, Big Brown's last workout before the Haskell was on the turf, a fact that had horse people scratching their heads. Trainers don't usually switch surfaces on a daily basis, especially before big races. Once again, to me, a red flag: sore feet.

Let me tell you about sore feet: it is miserable. I have had a major issue with the bottom of my left foot for almost two years and when it is inflamed, it is agony. Three doctors have yet to come up with a solution other than orthotics, which don't do much, and I am about to venture into the land of alternative medicine. I can tell you from direct experience that when your feet hurt, especially the bottoms of your feet, the last thing you want to do is run. Walking is sometimes so painful, it feels like you are walking on your bones. Trust me. I know about sore feet. And I don't know how they are going to make Big Brown run when his hurt, other than on painkillers, which, I believe, Iavarone has forbidden.

Let me tell you something else about the steroids that Big Brown was on. They reduced the inflammation in his feet because that is what steroids do. They made him feel better, eat better and perform better because he wasn't hurting, anywhere. Take them away, and he runs on the turf. No mystery here. As they say, "No foot, no horse."

I don't think he should be running at all and chances are that he won't. This mysterious made-to-order race won't fill or the horse will develop another "quarter crack" or some other ailment. He isn't going to like the turf or a synthetic surface anymore than he likes the dirt--running just plain hurts.

What we have here is an example of owners trying to increase the value of their Belmont disappointment and work their way into contention for Horse of the Year. They are campaigning hard and at the expense of some really sore feet.

Let him walk away while he still can.

No comments: