Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Tale of Phoebe's Tail



We have had quite a few days with the divine Miss Phoebe. It all started on Monday morning, 1:30 AM to be exact, when she woke me up whining and crying in obvious pain. She did not seem to be able to get comfortable. Up. Down. In. Out. She finally collapsed on the cool kitchen tile and let me get some sleep.

Of course I took her to the vet Monday and she said she thought she had sprained her tail. Her tail did hang down between her legs and she was miserable. Just to be sure, she thought she would check her anal glands, and when she did she felt a lump. Oh, no. It needed to be aspirated, which required general anesthesia because of the delicate location.

Which is why Tuesday AM, bright and early, I drove Phoebe back to the vet to get the lump aspirated. Of course she had continued her dawn patrol maneuvers, so I was slightly bleary eyed and Phoebe was not a happy camper to be returning to the place where they did nothing the day before to make her feel better.

I actually had to work out of town on Tuesday but I called the vet in the afternoon to get the report. "You'll never believe this," the receptionist told me. "There was no lump." Are you kidding, I thought. They knocked her out for no reason. I told her to have the vet call me back.

Which she did and there was no lump. This was of course, after they had given her a nice shave and had her sedated. "So it must be the tail," she concluded. "I'm sending her home with painkillers. Let me know how she is."

I can't believe it but I am incredibly relieved. I hear lump and I already have her halfway to Penn to the oncology department with which I am all too familiar. But I'll settle for a sprained tail any day.

Of course, Miss P. is none too pleased with her new haircut and very dopey from the drugs, but I think I will be able to sleep tonight. Finally.

I'm just not sure the insurance company is going to be convinced of the need for a rectal exam under anesthesia.....

No comments: