Monday, December 1, 2008

Slow Blogging

There is an interesting new trend among bloggers as noted by Sharon Otterman in last Sunday's New York Times: slow blogging. According to Otterman, it is a concept related to slow cooking and it is all about back to the basics of what made you a blogger in the first place. That is, the opportunity to write, not necessarily to build an audience or create a brand, but just to write.

"Slow bloggers believe that news-driven blogs like TechnoCrunch and Gawker (I would add Huffington Post) are the equivalent of fast food restaurants--great for occasional consumption but not enough to guarantee human sustenance over the long haul," writes Otterman. They also believe in quality over quantity--that meaty sporadic posts carry more weight than digestible daily nuggets (all food puns intended).

I'd like to think that I am a member of the slow blogging movement, but the truth is I am probably somewhere in between the two camps. Yes, I was attracted to the concept of blogging because it serves as a valuable "warm up exercise" for my writing work for the day. But somewhere along the line, I decided it was also a good way to build an audience if and when my book ever gets published. Hence the necessity of the daily posts.

I feel comfortable in admitting that I do not belong to the camp of those inexorably tied to their electronic devices, cranking out five, six or eight posts a day, but I do feel the need to write something readable every day partially out of fear of losing what small base I may have developed. Yes there is a responsibility that comes with being reliable but I like to believe it is a two way street. You have demonstrated your loyalty. I should demonstrate mine.

So while I mull this concept of deeper, "meatier" posts, you might notice that the topics wander a bit. That too comes with the territory of slow blogging because you will find that my mind often ventures into places where this blog has not been before.

Bottom line: I hope you'll stick around for the journey. It's always nice to know I'm not flying solo.

No comments: