Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lancelot in Duplicate

The great chronicler of popular culture, People magazine has a story in its February 16, 2009 issue that caught my eye. And no it wasn't the fact the Jessica Simpson is flaunting her "new" curves...

Rather, Edgar and Nina Otto, a Boca Raton couple, have shelled out $155,000 for a cloned puppy! The yellow lab puppy is cloned from the DNA of their beloved deceased lab named Lancelot and named Lancey. There is no doubt he is truly adorable--most yellow lab puppies are--and according to the owners, he "looks exactly" like their former dog.

There are quite a few issues here simmering underneath that precious face, not the least of which is the cost. But not to worry--Edgar is the son of NASCAR co-founder Edward Otto, and we all know how much money the gas guzzling sport rakes in. So the Ottos are not going hungry in favor of reproducing the past. Not to mention that they are generous philanthropists, having donated $333,000 since 2007 to their local Humane Society.

So its their money and, as they say, it is a free country. They are entitled to spend it as they see fit.

For me, there is a larger question of trying to replicate what they deem as perfection. Forget for a minute the obvious arguments about eliminating natural selection (if it even exists anymore) or "playing God," if you will. Call me hopelessly romantic (or naive) but I prefer to think that each pet comes into our lives at a certain time with certain characteristics in response to something that was lacking. And each new pet is special for who they are and what they bring to the relationship.

There is no doubt that Amos helped heal my broken heart after the devastating loss of Bentley, our previous collie, to cancer. And while Amos knows that was his job (and he knows that, trust me because he is my caretaker, extraordinaire), he is also different from Bentley and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Think back on the pets in your life. Have they each contributed something different or am I just being silly? I would hate to think we just go around in circles, never learning from new additions to the mix of our furry families.

I have loved many dogs, all of whom I knew were perfect, but I also believe it is worthwhile to open your heart to new blood when an old friend moves on. What do you think?

No comments: