Tuesday, February 17, 2009

To Kindle or Not

So the new Kindle is out and the reviews are mixed. I think I am still holding out for the Apple version, which may or may not be an application on my phone (and which may or may not even exist), but I must admit the new version is beginning to look tempting.

A Kindle for those of you who don't know, is an electronic book reader, put out by Amazon, that enables you to download a book, directly to the machine in about 60 seconds. "Our vision is every book ever printed in any language all available in 60 seconds," said Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos at the recent launch of the new model. It also allows you to download select newspapers and magazines. Downloads are realtively cheap--Amazon charges $9.99 for Kindle best sellers.

The original Kindle proved so popular that no one could get their hands on one. It was sold out for months--which also may have contributed to its popularity. Apparently the new one is going to be in stock.

The new device still lacks a color screen--which I must admit, I might find annoying especially if I was trying to read a magazine--but it is thinner and smaller. Also the downloading ability is apparently faster.

Here's the thing. I have a subscription to the New York Times on my phone and I still prefer reading the paper "in the flesh." What I find appealing about the Kindle is the ability to have instant access to any book, anywhere, but truthfully how often would I need something immediately? And then would I just end up with thousands of downloads that I never read?

People who have one, swear by it, especially those who travel. I'm not sure I can justify yet another separate device so I may wait until July, at which point I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to the new i-phone or succumb to Kindle longing.

Any thoughts?

No comments: