Sunday, April 19, 2009

What Barbaro Left Behind

Careful readers of this blog might note a new link to my work. Recently, I had one of my academic papers accepted for publication in Coastline, an interdisciplinary journal of Graduate Liberal Studies.

The paper, What Barbaro Left Behind: The Celebrity Illness Narrative as Inspiration, is one I wrote for a bioethics course last year. I examine the genre of the celebrity illness narrative (think Lance Armstrong's book about his "battle" with testicular cancer) and include the Barbaro story in the mix. Of course, the fact that Barbaro does not tell his own story is problematic, as is the fact that he does not survive his "illness," but based on the qualities that a celebrity illness narrative is supposed to engender, I think you will find there are indeed many similarities.

Warning: it is not "light" reading, meaning that it is fairly lengthy, so you might want to download the essay and peruse it at your convenience.

On a larger scale, I am pleased to have made the jump into "academic' publishing, even if it is online.

No comments: