Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fly Vick Fly--Out of Here

This is a true story. I was driving my parents home from Saratoga earlier this week and my father was sitting in the front seat, flipping radio channels to find the sports radio talk shows in every state we drove through. On one channel, the subject of Michael Vick came up--some commentator made a remark that he was shopping for a new team.

Without missing a beat, my father said, "That's disgusting." This from an avid sports fan, a devoted football fan and a serious dog lover. A most emphatic dismissal of a talented athlete who clearly could have an impact on any team he played for--at least in his day.

But there's more. Startled by my father's stark condemnation of Vick, I responded, half in jest, "As long at it's not the Eagles...."

Well imagine my surprise when I heard on the radio yesterday morning, that the Eagles had signed Vick to a two year deal. I almost choked on my toothpaste. Who do they think they are kidding and what do they think they are going to accomplish?

As you can well imagine the media is all over this story, and usually with a very negative stance. The consensus seems to be that it is a bad move--on the football field and off--and that his presence is going to do little to advance the cause of the Birds in the hearts and minds of their fans. Some even suspect that the move is a ploy to attract attention to the team that seems to be tired of the Phillies stealing the limelight.

My opinion? Yes, I do believe that offenders should be given a second chance but I also think that they need to work their way up to a million plus salary. I know Vick is touring the country with the Humane Society of the United States speaking out to groups about the evils of dog fighting, but I still think he has been handed a golden ticket in terms of re-entry. Let him work in a car wash or at a fast food restaurant. Better yet, let him work in a kennel cleaning up after the dogs he abused. Don't give him a million dollars without earning it the hard way.

I also think that this move may be our coach's moral and ethical stance on giving offenders a second chance--all the more personal because two of his kids are in jail for drugs. Please note that both of these kids have blown the terms of their paroles at least once, so so much for reform at the hand of the system. I also think this treads dangerously close to mixing personal and professional values--ironically, a line that Andy Reed has steadfastly refused to discuss when it comes to the status of his kids.

Give the guy a second chance fine, but let him earn it--perhaps with no pay for a year or two, perhaps by donating a a huge chunk of his salary to the SPCA or better yet a youth Half-way House, perhaps by serving as the equipment manager and working his way up to spot on the team. I know he is going to sit on the bench but for how long? If something happens to Donovan McNabb (not a long shot by any means since he seems to be prone to injury), how long will it be before the fans actually clamor to put Vick in because he is a good player? In other words, how long before the desire to win at any cost causes amnesia?

In my opinion this is a very bad move by the Eagles' brass, and a worse move by the coach. In fact, it is a horrendous move all around and I am hoping the Eagles' fans flock to the Phillies-who by the way, actually do value character.

No comments: