Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rabbits Redux



They're back!! The rabbits have returned and guess who found them. Phoebe actually brought me one in her mouth and dropped it when I saw the legs hanging out of her mouth and screamed. Perhaps you heard me? The rabbit was still alive and I put it in a dustpan (with a stick) and returned it to the nest.

Then Sam found another one and identified it by laying down and poking it with his nose. That one also went back to the nest. Out came the furniture to construct a teepee to keep the dogs out and let the mother in.



The next morning, when Sam woke me by standing on my head to remind me that "Rabbits are outside..." I found yet another one out of the nest. Actually Sam found it and tried to play with it by nosing it around. It too was alive and got returned to the nest.

Then we went for a walk and when we came back, there was absolutely no sign of the rabbits that I had deposited very close to the top of the hole. Either they have crawled all the way in or (as the wildlife center suspects), they have fled the scene, since they are big enough to move about on their own.

I shall maintain my vigil, but I am hopeful that my rabbits have left the premises. Either way, the lady at the wildlife center said the mother would return even if they smelled like dog or human. The mothering instinct was pretty strong.

As they say, never a dull moment. . .although I will admit that as soon as I gave my dogs bones to chew, they forgot about circling the rabbits den!

No comments: