Saturday, May 7, 2011

Derby Picks

The time has come to pick a horse or two or three for today's Kentucky Derby and so I will. Warning, I am a lousy handicapper, but it is always more fun to root for a horse than just watch the race--at least I think it is.

So, drum roll please. I like the following horses and depending on the odds, will probably bet them in some combination with each other: Animal Kingdom, Master of Hounds, and Soldat. Master of Hounds came out of nowhere, you might think, but he ran nicely in Dubai and I love the name! That said, horses that ship from Dubai have traditionally been no shows in the Derby but maybe it is time?

Speaking of time, I do think Graham Motion is due and therefore his horse, Animal Kingdom, is my sentimental favorite. He is a great trainer and would not run a horse that did not have a chance. For the record, I would have included Uncle Mo in the pack, had Uncle Mo been included by his connections but rumor has it that his ulcer--which is what that gastro-intestinal infection was--has not completely healed.

Soldat has a big finish and another great trainer and I got a very hot tip from a reliable source about him. Seriously. You might want to pay attention to this one.

All in all, it is a very tough race to call because that cattle shoot of twenty horses at the start always scares me to death. Winning the Kentucky derby has a lot to do with luck, timing and the horse racing gods. I think they just might be smiling on the Animal Kingdom this year and if I am right, it will be a huge exacta!!!!!!

No comments: