Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Union Rags

Not to jinx anything, but it looks like Michael Matz has a promising 2 year old named Union Rags who won the Grade II Saratoga Special on August 15 over a sloppy track.

While I may be preaching caution, reporters in the Winner's Circle were quick to ask Matz whether he felt this horse was another Barbaro. "Hopefully, we can have a lot of fun with him," Matz said. "After you have a horse like Barbaro, your standard is pretty high. I just hope he could be as good, that's for sure."

Matz is not the only one high on Union Rags. Jockey Javier Castellano called him "an unbelievable horse." Castellano also worked the horse in the morning and fired off a bullet of a breeze about ten days before the race. "When I showed up and worked the horse in the morning, it was unbelievable. I've never worked a horse like that and I've been very fortunate to ride horses like Ghostzapper and Bernardini. I've been a very lucky, fortunate, guy but this horse is unbelievable and special."

It's a long way to that first Saturday in May but Catellano already admits he's keeping his fingers croseed "that he's going to be a superhorse. I think he can run all day."

Remember, you heard it here!

No comments: