Sunday, November 13, 2011

Book Tour Recap

What a coincidence! Martha Stewart is on the same California book tour as Sabina and I are! She started in LA, however, which is where I am headed today, and then hit San Francisco, which is where I was Friday and Saturday. Our paths crossed mid air....

So here's how it is being on a book tour: exhausting but exhilarating. Things started in Chicago, without me, as it turns out, since my flight was canceled and then delayed due to fog in Philly. I spent the entire day at the airport on Thursday--from 10:00 in the morning until I got on a plane at 6:50 that evening--dragging my luggage back and forth from airline to airline, as plane after plane was canceled, delayed due to mechanical failure, and then delayed. I ultimately got on a 6:50 PM Southwest flight, standby and made it to Chicago at 8:00 pm CST, which was just as the event was winding down. By the time I got to the hotel, it was 9:00 PM and all that was left was a copy of The Culinary Canine on the front desk, which almost made it worthwhile!

The good news is that the turnout was good, everyone who came had a fabulous time and the chefs turned out in full force. Kimpton's Hotel Monaco, by the way is a fabulous hotel the next time you are in Chicago.

Up bright and early the next day to catch a 8:35 flight to San Francisco, which was remarkably on time. I did land in San Fran a little late due to weather--it was raining--but made it to the event in plenty of time. Sabina, however, was still on her flight and never got to the event since she landed two hours late.

The San Francisco event was held in the Noe Vally Pet Supply store, which is connected to Omnivore Books, a great shop that only sells cookbooks. We got a good crowd, lots of dogs, great food provided by Chef Tanya and Boulettes Larder and wine supplied by Vinum Cellars. It was a fun event, despite the steady downpour.

Saturday I spent with dear friends in San Francisco and we visited Chef Schwertner at Boulettes Larder in the Ferry Terminal Building and had a fabulous meal at Frances, owned by Chef Melissa Perello.

Off to LA Sunday AM for an event that afternoon at Upper West, for which I taped a radio interview the day before I left. My sister, who lives in Pacific Palisades, actually heard it on the air on Friday!

A whirlwind--even Martha admits it can be grueling--but fun, and great to see different parts of the country. I have never seen so many dogs as I did in San Francisco!

I'll be home late Monday to my own hounds, who I understand have missed me. I missed them too but have been delighted to take the show on the road.

No comments: