Friday, August 20, 2010

The Last Middleburg Post



"Something there this that doesn't love a wall...." With apologies to Robert Frost in case I am misquoting him, these handmade stone walls were one of the true gems of Virginia's horse country. They separate fields and farms and are meticulously arranged without cement. Some have crumbled but most are at least a century or so old. I love their charm.



The stone motif continues in most of the residences. Some are old brick but most are charming, stone farmhouses. This was the cottage where I stayed on a beautiful working farm/estate.


And these were my neighbors! Two riding horses kept behind, you guessed it, a stone wall and a higher fence. I'm not sure these guys had any desire to roam beyond their lush meadows!

My research in the National Sporting Library was equally as productive and I uncovered books from the 1600's, 1700's and 1800's with actual recipes for dogs! All of which will make the introduction a little bit more historical and give some justification to the fact that it is not merely a self-indulgent cookbook for dogs! Believe it or not, as far back as the 1700's owners of dogs, especially fox hounds, were recording what they fed their dogs for optimum health. You might be surprised to learn that oatmeal was an important ingredient 300 years ago!

No comments: