Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pet Insurance Real Life Case Study

For those of you keeping score (or on the fence about pet health insurance), I have been keeping track of the expenses associated with Miss Phoebe's ACL tear, including rehab. The totals to date--which does not include all of the rehab treatments because I am going to submit them together--is as follows:

Expenses submitted $842.21
Reimbursements 443.70
Out of pocket 398.51

Granted $398 is a hunk of change but nothing compared to 842. Insurance has paid for a little more than half of Phoebe's expenses so far.

Here's where it is going to get interesting. When Penn discharged her, they actually wrote a prescription for rehab with a specific doctor at a specific facility. I have been following that prescription to the letter of the law. My previous expenses only included three treatments and they reimbursed about 40% of the cost of these.

I am going to lump the next group together, along with a copy of that original prescription and see if my luck holds. If it doesn't I recently learned that Penn Vet Hospital actually has an insurance person on staff to submit your claims and go to bat for you. So we shall see.

So far, I am delighted with the results. Let's hope my luck holds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but great topic.
I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.


Here is my weblog: Taco Bell