Friday, October 26, 2007

Freelance 101

I have another issue with the concept of self publishing that I
neglected to mention yesterday and that is the notion of writing on
spec. Put simply, I don't do it and neither should any freelacer.

I know it's tempting, especially in the early phases of one's career
but I can honestly say I haven't done it. Have I done the almost
equivalent of writing for pittance just to get published? Yes, but
only if someone asked for a specific article, NOT because I had
written the article and wanted to see it in print.

There's a difference and I'm willing to bet that most freelancers who
have been doing this for some time have also drawn a similar line. We
have to to keep any sense of self-worth.

So to write an entire book on spec, which is essentially what self-
publishing is, goes against my work practices.

I'd rather not write it than write it without a contract.

I'll be in Washingon over the weekend, hence my foray into mobile
blogging. If it does't work, I'll be back on location Monday.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: