Saturday, November 24, 2007

Enchanted

Here's my recommendation for the holiday movie season: beg, borrow or steal a 6-10 year old and go see Enchanted. I went yesterday afternoon with all five of my nieces and nephews and while the boys were not enthralled until an evil dragon appeared near the end, the girls and I were, well, enchanted.

The movie, which begins in animation and ends in Manhattan, is a tribute to all those glorious musical fairy tales of long ago when princesses waltzed through forests, trilling melodically to birds and beasts, and everything had a happy ending. The Disney film gently mocks itself and every big budget musical every made (even the Sound of Music is not exempt) but does it in such a way that you only wish there were more over the top production numbers.

I won't spoil the ending--but I am sure you can guess that the dragon does not triumph--but you will leave humming and dreaming of happily ever after.

No comments: