Thursday, November 1, 2007

Fountain of Ideas

People often ask me whether most of my work is assigned or suggested by me. The answer is that it varies, depending on the client. A lot of my steady work is indeed assigned and related to the scope of the publication for which it is intended. On the other hand, if I spot something that seems to look like a good fit, I do not hesitate to mention it to an editor with whom I have a long-standing relationship.

Unless I am approaching a new publication, I rarely write a formal query and even in the case of new outlets, I usually call the features editor before I waste any one's time. The truth of the matter is, editors, like the rest of the world, are on overload and a lot of written queries never make it past the delete button.

So where do I get my ideas? From just about everywhere. I read two newspapers a day (in print because I like turning pages with my coffee), peruse numerous blogs, listen to NPR almost all the time I am in the car, try to attend various cultural events and give myself time every day to let it all percolate.

In other words, you might think I'm walking my dogs through rain, snow, sleet and hail but I'm also warming up my brain and allowing it to make connections between random thoughts and ideas. You'd be surprised at some of the things that emerge.

Of course, I often rely on suggestions from family and friends about interesting people, places and things so keep those calls coming!

No comments: