Monday, January 7, 2008

Hope Springs Eternal

We're getting a new mayor, Michael Nutter, in Philadelphia today and with it a new agenda for our city. He promises the end of corruption, favoritism and politics as usual. He is soliciting the best and the brightest to help him wage this campaign for change and for the time being, it is a wonderful thing to ponder the possibilities.

My parents ran a first time starter at Gulfstream Park yesterday in a maiden race. She had never run in a race and before hand my father was already envisioning a trip to the Kentucky Oaks, the Kentucky Derby for fillies. We were traveling yesterday but he told me if I got home in time, the race would be on channel 248 (or something like that) and I should be sure to watch.

We got home too late to watch her not win, but that hasn't dampened my father's spirits. "First time starter," he explains. "She's a little green but give her time."

The beginning of January seems to be all about hope and optimism. A new year, a new agenda and a new chance to change or make history.

Here's hoping some of that rubs off on the publishers reading my proposal.

No comments: