Sunday, January 13, 2008

What's in a Name?

Apparently more than I thought. Careful readers of this blog might notice that it is now authored by Kathryn Levy Feldman rather than Kit Feldman. Of course they are one and the same except in the Google search lexicon.

A friend tipped me off to the importance of the Google search function in driving traffic to the blog and asked if I wrote the blog under Kit or Kathryn. Actually I had intentionally authored the blog under Kit, intending to create (at least in my mind) a separate persona from the objective, professional Kathryn. Kit was the one you ran into in the grocery store (and still do). Kathryn was the one you thought of hiring to write your corporate history (and still can).

Apparently Google does not recognize us as the same person. If you google Kathryn Levy Feldman, you will get a list of some of my work. If you google Kit Feldman, you will get some of my blog entries. If you google Barbaro, by the way, you encounter many more Barbaro articles, including blogs, before I presume you find mine. I gave up before I got to mine. All of which means that whomever finds this blog via googling Barbaro, must be very persistent.

It would be optimum, of course, if Google could send those who search for Kit Feldman to Kathryn Feldman and this might be a job for my Mac geniuses. Everything gets even more complicated when you add in the middle name, creating ostensibly two more people, Kit Levy Feldman and Kathryn Levy Feldman, and a plethora of search possibilities.

Of course I have absolutely no idea if any of this will make a difference in my readership (which is growing steadily by the way) but in the interest of consistency, I decided to use my byline to author everything I write.

Which means that the name may have changed but not the face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.