Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What Goes Around....

The announcement by the Jacksons and Churchill Downs yesterday about Barbaro's final resting place is even more appropriate than I had imagined. Barbaro's ashes will be interred outside of Gate 1 at Churchill Downs, not behind the Kentucky Derby Museum in the memorial garden, as I had expected. This means that people who want to visit Barbaro's grave site will be able to do so without paying the entrance fee to visit the Museum. Chances are that they will want to do both, but it will also give all those who enter Churchill Downs via Gate 1, one of the main entrances, the opportunity to walk by a memorial to one of racing's greats, at the site of his greatest victory.

In addition, the location means that Barbaro will become the only horse to be buried on the actual grounds of Churchill Downs, another fitting distinction. If I am not mistaken, Gate 1 is very close to both the Kentucky Derby Museum and the paddock area, where Barbaro's name is already painted on the cornice that circles the walking arena, as one of the Derby winners.

Further reports indicate that the formal unveiling and dedication of the memorial, including a larger than life sized statue of Barbaro, will occur sometime in 2009--the year in which Nicanor, Barbaro's brother currently in training in Florida, will be eligible to run in the Kentucky Derby. What a dream that would be!!!!

Also, from my perspective, 2009 sounds like the story is going to be around for a while. It would be too amazing to think that this book of mine could come out to coincide with all those events....

Speaking of amazing, I must thank all the Fans of Barbaro for all their wonderfully supportive comments on my previous post, You've Got to Have Fans. I woke up yesterday to an outpouring of affection that had me wondering more than once if there wasn't a big, bay horse up there giving me a thumbs up. Thanks and please come back and visit.

1 comment:

kneadstoknow said...

They say that Kismet visits us now and then. I think she visited me today, as I "accidently" view your post on ABR.

I never felt closure after Barbaro's death. Even though we knew there was a strong possibility from the beginning that so many things could impede his progress, and Laminitis brought him down.

But now that Barbaro has a final resting place, a "home" for those who love him with such passion and awe, perhaps that closure will be a reality for me, and for so many others.

I so appreciate the blog you creating. It absolutely comes from your heart and is an inspiration for me.

Jo Singer