Friday, February 1, 2008

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.....

I had been planning on telling you about my lunch and conversation yesterday with Scott Hoffman, one of the founding partners of Folio Literary Agency, but unfortunately I was unable to attend the event. I have been fighting a nasty bug for over a week now, taking antibiotics since Monday, but as of yesterday morning I was actually feeling worse. I debated long and hard whether or not I should push myself, but it turned out that I was still waiting for the doctor to call me back at about the time that I would have had to leave to get to the event on time. So I opted out, which was unusual for me, but since I had virtually no voice and a wicked cough, probably a wise decision.

I am guessing that Hoffman went to Penn since the event was held on the campus at the Kelly Writer's House, a wonderful source for writers in the Philadelphia area. It was billed as conversations about the publishing industry and what made it even more intriguing was the fact that I actually had heard one of Hoffman's partner's, Paige Wheeler, speak at the writers conference I attended this fall. They started their agency as an alternative to what they saw was going on in the publishing industry (lack of attention to clients, lack of publicity on the part of the publishers for their authors) and I remember they had offices in both New York and Washington.

In the most perfect of worlds, I would have found the perfect time and place to question him about what was going on (or not going on) with my proposal and he might have said, send me a copy (hey, I can dream right?) and who knows... but none of this was going to happen with me not being at the top of my game and certainly would have less credibility coming from a croaking sneezer than from a polished professional.

So I stayed home. And am off to the doctor this morning where hopefully, she will prescribe something to get me back on my feet.

No comments: