Monday, April 21, 2008

What You Leave Behind

Last week was quite a week for me. I was in the presence of two influential women I admire; I acquired a new dog and the youngest of my three children turned 21. I am sure that on some level the last two events are symbolically connected--losing a child but gaining a puppy?--but overall I found myself thinking a lot about legacy. Yes, the concept of what you leave behind.

Surely Michelle Obama and Anna Quindlen have crafted impressive legacies, in words and deeds, and while I may not leave behind my name on the list of Pulitzer Prize winners (never say never...), I do feel proud of the body of work that bears my name. Of course, I would love for that body of work to include the Barbaro story in some shape or form, but it may not be in the way I originally envisioned. That's the curious thing about legacies: they are changed not only by the people to whom they belong but by the people in whom hands they ultimately end up. And sometimes the events that change them are out of every one's hands.

Take Barbaro. Events totally out of his control made him a celebrity and contributed to the prestige and allure of his life and legacy. And then those who felt moved to sustain his memory, many of whom never even met or knew the horse, took his legacy to another level entirely. The Fans of Barbaro, many of whom began as curious, innocent, animal-loving bystanders, perhaps contributing small change to purchase carrots and apples for the patients at New Bolton Center, are suddenly wandering the halls of Congress and making deals for equine welfare.

It is both astounding and inspiring that the legacy of a Kentucky Derby winner can sustain a legitimate grass roots political movement for social change. It is refreshing to remember that people are moved by the plight of animals and it is important to be reminded that what you leave behind may not end up being what you thought it was.

So maybe the answer is to do good, work hard and sow lots of seeds of inspiration into other people's lives and let them grow. I have to believe that what goes around comes around and with a little luck, we might all get a chance to see the literal and figurative fruits of our labors.

No comments: