Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year

I've seen two fabulous movies this past week and while not all will fall for Marley and Me, (there has been a bit of backlash from the American Veterinary society about the "bad" dog concept; you know the drill: there are no bad dogs only bad owners), I do think that most viewers will enjoy The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Anyway, both movies inspired me in different ways. Marley & Me operates from the premise that certain dogs are "special" by virtue of their characteristics--in Marley's case, his over exuberance--and that Marley was a once in a lifetime kind of dog that came along at precisely the right moment in a young family's life. I'm not sure that there are once-in-a-lifetime dogs--only that dogs come into your life at different times with different lessons and all are in their own ways, "special." Nonetheless, it is a great exploration of the human-animal bond and I guarantee you will need a tissue or two.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button explores the themes of aging within the context of Benjamin Button who grows younger instead of older. It is a fascinating idea and one that plays out on a lot of levels. Two people that are moving in opposite directions meet in the middle for a brief shining moment and then one ends up taking care of the other at different stages of their lives. Of course there is also the concept that as we age, we really return to our "diaper" stage and the notion that most of us do indeed come full circle.

Both movies have inspired me to think a lot about my past, my present and my future so don't be surprised if you occasionally read a post about my youth (spent with many dogs, of course) as sort of a working journal for a project that may one day turn into something else.

I have a lot on my plate as we start the new year--my thesis, some really interesting assignments in progress for existing clients, a commissioned history for which a draft has to be cranked out by the end of January, and who knows what else.

So I hope you forgive me if I occasionally I use this blog as a journal to capture and freeze concepts that weave in and out of my brain. Chances are that if you don"t like one days entry, you might like the next.

Either way, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: