Friday, January 30, 2009

Nicanor's Debut

News just in that, barring any unforeseen circumstances, Nicanor, Barbaro's brohter, will make his racing debut on Saturday at a mile on the dirt at Gulfstream Park in Florida. Word is also out that Edgar Prado, Barbaro's jockey, will be his jockey.

I know the Fans of Barbaro are eagerly anticipating this race with mixed emotions. On the one hand, they cannot wait to see the brother of their hero make his debut. On the other, they wish for a safe trip. Of course, now they know exactly how any owner feels!

Nicanor is a big, strapping colt, reminiscent of his brother, and word has it that he has been training very well under Michael Matz's watchful eye. Nobody is saying much about comparisons to his brother, but you know everyone is thinking about the similarities and differences, just the same.

The last time I saw Nicanor was when he was a yearling in Kentucky, ironically on the morning of the day his brother lost his battle with laminitis. I was visiting Mill Ridge, doing some interviews, and when they offered to let me see Nicanor, I could hardly refuse! I was struck by his presence, even as a clunky yearling with a long winter coat--and by that knowing eye which reminded me very much of Barbaro.

Did he know he was something special? I don't know--I think he was filled with that typical, yearling youthfulness, energy and "I can do anything" attitude. I can assuredly say that I do not think he felt the weight of any expectations; he was just being himself.

One thing is certain. We will know more about his personality after Saturday, regardless of where he finishes. And while I truly do not believe lightening will strike twice, anything can happen in horse racing.

I wish him a safe trip and lots of racing luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are mistaken. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

Anonymous said...

This rather good idea is necessary just by the way