Thursday, March 4, 2010

Watching the Watch Dog

I'm not quite sure what to make of this but on February 23, a new organization called Humanewatch.org ran a full page ad in the NY times that attacked the Humane society of the United States for mismanagement of donated funds. The ad noted that HSUS "gives less than one-half of one percent of its $100 million budget to hands-on pet shelters" while "sock[ing] away over $2.5 million of American's donations in is own pensions plans."

HumaneWatch claims to be the watchdog of the "dog-watchers" and invites readers to visit its website. So I did, because while I am not a huge fan of Wayne Pacelle, Chairman of HSUS, I do believe the organization has its heart in the right place, at least on the surface.

HumaneWatch is run by The Center for Consumer Freedom, a nonprofit that keeps an eye on other nonprofit groups. From what I can tell, they have, of late, focused a lot of attention on PETA and it seems as if the HumaneWatch project grew out of their immersion in animal related issues.

That said, the blogger, David Martosko, who by the way is the Director of Research for the CCF, is articulate and does his homework. But I can't help wonder why he is focusing so much attention on the Humane Society of the US, when surely there must be other larger nonprofits that are not quite as narrowly focused. But then again, maybe HSUS's large coffers demands some monitoring.

I hear tell that CCF is a fairly conservative organization (dare I say tea-partyish?) and that is not my usual cup of tea. Rumor also has it that the meddling of the government in agricultural affairs, as in California's recent proposal to eliminate factory farming, is what started this investigation. Since I am a huge opponent of factory farms, and I believe the HSUS advocates the same position, I am even more wary of their tactics.

However, buyer beware, as they say. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view but, in my opinion, until they prove otherwise, longevity seems to trump upstarts.

No comments: