Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Social Media 101

Loyal readers of this blog might notice a subtle name change: from Something About Barbaro to Something About Barbaro and Other Animals. Told you it was subtle. The general idea is to keep those loyal readers who know me from the Barbaro days and to encourage others who might not know me to join the fun.

You guessed the motive: building a larger following for the book and gradually getting to the point where all my communications are somehow linked. How this happens is beyond me for the time being, but I have been told that there are programs that can link everything you say with everywhere you say it, as in twitter with facebook with blog with website. I have to assess whether or not I am ready to jump into the Twitter stream so for now I am watching and deciding. In the meantime, encourage those who might not stop here because of the horse thing, to try it for a while.

I like all animals, horses included.

This entire social media craze is quite the rage in publishing these days and writer who write exclusively for the web are basically required to have a following before most editors will hire them. I don't know what takes more time--pitching stories, writing stories or building a following.

I do know, however, that social media is pretty crucial when it comes to marketing a book so stay tuned. I am just getting my feet wet.

No comments: