Monday, August 29, 2011

Looks What the Hurricane Blew In


We've had some wild and crazy weather here over the weekend when the hype surrounding Irene was enough to drive any sane person to bet on the horses! In my case, I was too busy moving patio furniture indoors to place that bet and in the end, I am glad I didn't because I saved some money.

The good news on lots of fronts was that we survived the hurricane with minimal damage--a large tree limb down in the backyard and a small trickle of water in the basement. The dogs, once again, slept through it--on top of me--and while our NBC coverage did not have the Travers because of 24 hour hurricane hype, I did watch it on TVG. I also got to see Uncle Mo in what I call a triumphant return to the track even if he did come in second in the King's Bishop.

It's been a pretty good week for Todd Pletcher too. First, that great article in the NY Times last Sunday and then second in the King's Bishop and a victory in the Travers with Stay Thirsty. As of yesterday morning, Pletcher reported that both Mike Repole's horses came out of their races in good shape. And how about Mike Repole? One race after Uncle Mo loses by a nostril, he wins the Travers going away.

"Its a roller-caoster game; it's a bipolar game," Repole said. "What we just saw in the last half hour for Todd Pletcher and Mike Repole was the low, the highest high, all within 30 minutes. It's a tough loss with Uncle Mo and probably the best win of my life with the Travers."

Probably fitting on a day when the highs and lows of barometric pressure were equally as extreme! Let's hope we have some calmer winds on all fronts for a while.

No comments: