Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Post-Irene


For what it's worth, here is my post hurricane wrap up. I realized today when I ventured out how incredibly fortunate we were. There are roads closed everywhere with huge trees blocking them and wires down all around. I saw one enormous tree across someone's driveway blocking their access to the road and within inches of their home. Power is out everywhere including our local post office and supermarket and shelves are bare if you can find a store that is open.

The irony--places that typically lose their power have it and those that don't have lost it. My friend who has a house on Long Beach Island, NJ summed it up. "Go figure," she said. "My house on LBI is fine and never lost power but here at home I am running on a generator!"

So there you have it. Who would have ever thought Vermont, a land locked state, would be flooded?

In other news, I think these driftwood sculptures of horses by artist Heather Jansch are amazing and might be a great way to use up all those tree limbs that have littered the ground. When life gives you a hurricane, pick up the pieces.

No comments: