Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On Hero Patrol

I've been back in the glory days of horse racing, doing a lot of research lately for my Master's thesis which is going to be about three heroic thoroughbreds: Seabiscuit, Secretariat and Barbaro. My argument is how the changing concept of the American hero from Superman to Everyman, is reflected in the horses we choose as heroes.

It has been really interesting--which is a great thing because it has also been a lot of work--and I am just in the beginning stages. At the moment, I am intent on finding an overriding definition of hero that will be a starting point.

So which dictionary should I use? Merriam-Webster? Oxford English? American Heritage or something else? Actually even a great definition of hero from a philosopher, historian or writer would work. I'm still looking for the perfect one to suit my needs.

Which is actually what is so interesting about some of my work. We writers can actually make most quotes suit our needs if we have enough time to dig them up. It's amazing how you can shape an argument with the proper ammunition.

So you tell me: what is a hero and who says is best?

No comments: