Monday, November 10, 2008

Reinventing the Wheel

I heard an interesting story on NPR (yes I have abandoned Sports Radio now that the Phillies are in the history books) the other day about the re-packaging of books in print. Apparently things are so tight in the publishing industry these days, that many literary agents are simply re-branding the books on their back-lists. In other words, they are changing existing titles to fit the times. The Coming Financial Collapse simply becomes After the Fall.

Which goes to show you that it's all about branding and putting the proper spin on things.

So how does my Barbaro proposal, still unsold, change to fit the times?

One answer may be its current reincarnation as part of the hero study that I am working on for my thesis. Making Barbaro a part of the Seabiscuit, Secretariat triumvirate may make his story more "brand friendly" since he is being lumped with known commodities. Another may be that over time his story may gain appeal. A third is simply that it fades into oblivion.

I'm liking the re-branding approach at this moment since I think you can make anything fit your needs if you are clever enough. Which also goes to show you that writing a book proposal that sells requires you to tell a great story and have a great marketing plan. The two skills are like oil and water and it is rare, I think, for a naturally born writer to be a naturally born salesperson.

So time to appeal to experts and I'll begin with you my loyal readers. How would you re-brand Barbaro to fit this market?

No comments: