Sunday, June 28, 2009

Distractions

I am deep into a huge project at the moment that is taking up a lot of my brain power.

It is an article I am writing for Penn that I should have written months ago, but the thesis got in the way. It is about Scott Mackler, M. D,. Ph. D., who was diagnosed with ALS ten years ago. A brilliant physician and researcher, whose specialty is addiction, Scott is now completely "locked in," unable to talk, move or breathe without a respirator. Yet, with with the help of a machine called BCI 2000, he is able to continue his work as a researcher by using his brain waves to select letters, one by one that he types into emails and thus communicates with friends, colleagues, family, and the world.

It is humbling to be in his presence and also inspiring. But more than anything it is a story about the power of communication, the need to be useful and the power of love. Without all three of them, I don't believe Scott would be here today.

All of which is a nice way of saying, bear with me for a few days if you find yourself staring at photos of my pups or videos lifted from youtube. My brain is on overdrive!

No comments: