Monday, June 22, 2009

Take 5 Needles and Call Me in the Morning

The other day I drove by one of those franchise-type veterinary practices in my area, you know the one with names like America's Pet and Animals First (I don't think they are actual franchises; they just feel like they are) and noticed a sign outside that read, "Now Offering Acupuncture." Wow. Alternative medicine has invaded Main Street.

I have long been a believer in acupuncture having seen the results in my late golden/lab mix, Lucy. Weekly and then monthly acupuncture treatments prolonged her life for two years. No joke. She was still crotchety and creaky but she was mobile and everything including her coat and her skin, improved with regular treatments to minimize her arthritis. And since there is no placebo effect in animals, I truly did attribute it to the wonders of acupuncture.

I have since had acupuncture in my feet and felt the difference it can make. A recent article in the Inquirer highlights the path that alternative medicine for pets has taken and how it now travels on Main Street. When I started those acupuncture treatments for Lucy almost ten years ago, my vet was one of the few who was certified in the specialty. In fact, according to the article, "the American Veterinary Association says it is 'open' to the consideration of alternative treatments."

Nowhere is this more beneficial, in my opinion, than in conjunction with chemotherapy. In fact, Penn now offers acupuncture in conjunction with chemo, which is something I wish they did when Bentley was being treated there. And how about this for acceptance? Pet insurance even covers some treatments, although I have found that acupuncture is probably one of the cheapest services that vets offer!

The moral of the story: Don't fore go traditional medicine especially in emergency situations. As Dr. Andrew Weil is fond of saying, "If I am in a car accident, take me to the nearest trauma center." But for chronic conditions, don't be afraid to consider the alternatives.

No comments: