Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bid Dogs in Big Cities

I was in New York last week to settle Son #2 in his new digs (he will be attending Grad School in the Fall) and as we wandered the streets looking for various apartment accessories as well as sustenance, I couldn't help but notice that the city is literally overrun with dogs. I do not think I am making this up. It seemed like every other person was walking at least one dog.

And I am not just talking about the small apartment types. Big dogs, like Great Pyrennes and Rottweilers were in abundance as were labs and golden retrievers. I cannot imagine having a big dog in NYC--it was really hot and the sidewalk must have been blistering in the sun--but obviously people do it.

Yes, there were the very talented dog walkers with five or six leashes in hand (I don't know how they do it either) and all sorts of dogs trailing very obediently behind them, all of them looking very happy, I might add.

Personally, after living a life with three big canines in the country where they can and do run free, I cannot imagine they would ever adapt to being walked four or five times a day but I suppose it's all what you are used to. Trust me, none of these dogs seemed any worse for the wear, but there will always be a part of me that thinks it is not fair to a dog to raise it in the city.

There is the matter of doing ones business on the pavement since green spaces are few and far between, but once again, none of this seems to be an issue and people are incredibly obedient when it comes to pooper scooper laws.

If I did have a pet in the city, I would opt for a small dog that might be able to be trained to go in a litter box, just to save myself the hassle of elevator dashes in the middle of the night, but once again, New York is the city that never sleeps. And what a market for our book!!!

What about you? Have you ever raised a dog in a city? It is easier than it looks?

No comments: