Monday, May 7, 2012

Derby Recap


For those of you who were expecting a Kentucky Derby recap yesterday, I apologize. Family obligations kept me from my computer. Which also gave me the opportunity to peruse all the other pundits and the above video from the Daily Racing Form is, I think, one of the best assessments of the race.

First of all, please note that I did pick the horses that finished second and third, so I retain some credibility. Secondly, Union Rags had, as you heard, a horrible trip, but it was a trip I actually predicted as soon as I saw him break a step slow. Go back and watch the replay of the break. Union Rags is already a half length behind the other horse, about two steps out of the gate. Of course, he then gets bumped by the traffic jam around him and has a hard time settling down. There was a lot of dirt kicked in his face before he even reached that first turn.

Which is why, I repeat, the Kentucky Derby is actually won around the first turn. Whoever gets out of the gate quickly and away from the traffic, puts himself in a position to run a clean race. Bodemeister did just that and it was those blistering fractions that did him in, not the traffic around him. I'll Have Another also got a nice trip breaking from the 19 post and heading toward the rail with only one horse on his outside, so there was no chance of getting boxed in. He settled in sixth and had room to make that big stretch run.

What do I think about him? I don't think he is a Triple Crown horse but I would love it if he was. The jockey is the feel-good story--rookie makes good and he and the horse seem to have formed a bonded team. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

It would be something if Union Rags came back and won the Preakness to take the Barbaro monkey off of Matz's back once and for all. Now that would be a great story.

Bodemeister can't go that far but will still be around to set blistering fractions. It should be an exciting two weeks as the horses jockey for the next leg.

No comments: