Friday, May 25, 2012

New Mounts in the Belmont

Jockey juggling for the Belmont: Johnny V (Velazquez) will be aboard Union Rags and Javier Castellano will ride Dullahan. I like both these changes.

“Julian was good with the horse…but he got in trouble in the Florida Derby and the Kentucky Derby and I don’t think the horse really had a chance to run,” said Matz, who conditions Union Rags for owner/breeder Phyllis Wyeth. “Whether it was the horse, the jockey, or the trainer, I don’t know, but we decided to make a change.”

Matz also said that Johnny V had agreed to a multi-race commitment with Union Rags.
"We didn’t specify what races… I just wanted someone to stick with the horse and he said he would," Matz said. "Obviously if it doesn’t go well between Johnny and the horse, we will talk it over. There was no contract or anything…whether we made the right choice or not, this is what the Wyeths, my assistant, and I came up with.”

Castellano replaces Kent Desormeaux who failed a breathalyzer test. If Desormeaux straightens himself out, this will be a temporary switch, according to Bloodhorse.

You can be assured that both jocks will be gunning for I'll Have Another from the get-go.

No comments: