Monday, December 31, 2007

Barbaro in 2007

As the calendar page turns, there is an interesting thread on Alex Brown's web site that considers the impact that Barbaro has had on his readers' lives. The entries are moving. Most mention the inspirational quality of Barbaro's journey. They write about his courage, grace under pressure, ability to make those that cared for him feel appreciated. They speak of his dignity and marvel that a horse that few of them ever met, had the ability to touch so many lives.

The Fans of Barbaro also appreciate and admire the people who made Barbaro's fight possible: Dean Richardson, his surgeon, Gretchen and Roy Jackson, his owners and Edgar Prado, his jockey. They recall the parties they sponsored for all the employees at New Bolton to express their appreciation for their care of Barbaro.

Most say that their lives were forever changed by meeting others who cared about Barbaro and by following the details of his journey.

I wonder what this says about us? That we, as a species, remain incredibly touched by animals, especially those who rely on us for their survival. That we need the company of others who share our beliefs. And that the Internet, often maligned as a tool for social isolation, is also a conduit of support and friendship to those who are physically isolated from others who share their beliefs. Surely all of the above and more.

For me, the Barbaro saga has given me access to some of the most dedicated, passionate and talented people I have ever met. It has also rekindled my childhood fascination with horses and introduced me to the the plight of those who are abandoned. Of course it has also opened doors in the publishing world that were hard to crack--and remain only partially open--and given me some pats on the back. I have made some lifelong friends and been a part of some great stories.

And so as 2007 winds down, I find myself curious about how my adventure plays out and surprisingly willing to hang in there, perhaps with less of my entire being invested than when I started, and more with a sense of invested detachment, if such a sentiment exists.

I hope you will hang in there with me. At the very least, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Happy 2008!

No comments: