Friday, December 14, 2007

Batting 1000?

One of the nicest things about being a writer is seeing your work in print. The nature of the industry is such that, unless you write for a newspaper, the lag time between handing in a story and seeing it in print is usually a few months. So it is always a nice surprise when I receive a bunch of "overs" (leftover copies) in the mail.

Yesterday I received the current edition of Family Business magazine. I wrote the cover story as well as a another feature inside and both look great, if I do say so myself. An unexpected pat on the back and a nice boost on an otherwise rainy, damp, cold day when I navigated some icy patches both en route to and returning from Penn.

The Penn lectures were once again extremely fruitful and I actually sat next to a reporter who is writing a book about dogs, One Nation Under Dogs, due out next year. He is a former newspaper reporter who landed a good book deal and was glad to get out while the getting was good. We struck up a nice friendship--another unexpected bonus of venturing out on a miserable day.

And in another twist of fate, my proposal has been sent off to Michael Smerconish's publisher, Globe Pequoit Press, a leading publisher of travel guides and pet books with a loyal following among horse lovers.

Perhaps three for three? Who knows?

No comments: