Monday, December 3, 2007

Omens or not?

I must be on to something. When I emailed my advisor at Penn about the topic of veterinary ethics he replied with interesting news. On Thursday of this week , he is hosting an ethicist who is speaking to his class about just such a topic. He invited me to crash the class, which you can bet I will be doing.

Then I learned that Dean Richardson, Barbaro's doctor, addressed the opening session of his peers at their convention in Orlando by speaking abut, guess who, Barbaro. From reports, it seems as if he is still emotionally invested in the experience (he is not "over" it) and even goes into detail about specific techniques he would do differently if he had to do it all over again today. Perhaps hindsight is actually necessary in this instance to properly evaluate his treatment plan. Perhaps I am not too late after all...

So it goes. I try to bury this story and it seems to continually rise from the dead. The longer the limbo period goes on, the more the book changes and it certainly cannot be the same book that was originally proposed. But the more I suggest changes, the longer the process drags on.

Talk about a vicious cycle.

No comments: