Monday, December 10, 2007

Return to the Genius Bar

I now have my own personal Genius, John, who is only a phone call away. Small consolation when you discover that you can't open your documents, as I did yesterday. A voice on the other end of the phone who knows exactly what the issues are, is still reassuring, even when he can't solve them. (Note: Geniuses even work on Sunday). It seems that that my laptop and my desktop each have issues of their own and fixing one doesn't seem to help the other.

He basically got me up and running, although it is not ideal, and we scheduled an appointment for Wednesday afternoon.

The more I think about this Genius Bar, the more I believe it is a model for reform for the US Health Care System. The concept is based on affordable insurance with upgrades available for a price (Apple Care and Pro Care), knowledgeable practitioners who are trained, above all in customer service, collaboration and technical know how. They are dedicated to solving your problems because that is what they do. Ills are not equated with money--no money changes hands at the Genius Bar. The Geniuses seem to genuinely feel your pain and treat you and your machines with respect, dare I even say, tenderness?

I'm beginning to think someone should give each of the presidential candidates a malfunctioning Apple computer that requires them to spend a few hours at a Genius Bar. Whomever gets the message that people can be treated with competence and dignity, regardless of their circumstances, gets my vote.

No comments: