Thursday, December 13, 2007

Out of My Shell?

A few thoughts before I head back to Penn for my second series of lectures on veterinary ethics. Once again, ice and snow seem to be complicating the commute.

My return to the Genius Bar was a relative breeze. My life is now in sync--all machines are speaking to me and to each other and everything is backing itself up once a day in case of trouble down the line. In addition, I signed up for one-to one tutorials, once a week with the Mac creative Geniuses, as opposed to the techno whizzes, so look for some bells and whistles on this blog in coming weeks. At the very least I want to learn how these devices can make my life easier rather than more complicated, which is what seems to happen when they malfunction.

Which brings me to a question. How easy should it be for someone who is looking for me to find me? In our Google world, where every one's bio is just a click a way, should my contact info also be that accessible?

I have always been a bit of a turtle on this front, preferring to hide within the shell of protection offered by the editorial staffs of the magazines that employ me. It seems that if people are bent on finding me, they contact places where my articles have appeared and those people contact me. So far it has been a good arrangement and the "hunt" seems to dissuade those who are not genuinely interested in finding me.

Now I am not so sure. Since I am indeed, out here in cyber space on a regular basis, should I add my contact info to this blog? Its non-existence has been a deliberate oversight on my part to date.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I can understand your dilemma. I just recently finished a writers' program (workshops, only) and will be venturing into the blogosphere myself. Is it possible to set up a second e-mail account with your provider and/or rent a PO box and use those as the contact info for the blog? This might create a litle buffer.

I'd wonder whether you might be missing viable, good contacts. There might well be a voice or two that you'd like to "meet" via your blog. But, the caveat is that it might bring out the folks who have things to say that aren't important enough, by your own standards, to listen to or read. LOL

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

BTW, found your blog via the Alex Brown Racing site and Fans of Barbaro discussion boards. I really enjoyed reading it and will visit regularly.

Thanks!